Friday, January 20, 2006

Scrubs 100th Episode... and Parte'

WAAAASSSSSAAAAP!

Hey, just a quick reminder that [scrubs] 100th episode airs this Tuesday at 9pm on NBC. Yah, I know, we are up against CSI "the original" and American Idol. That's why you have a VCR or, better yet, TIVO or even Ultimate TV c/o Gary who works for Microsoft.

ANYWAY, so I get this call a few weeks ago from Benner/Romano casting who, by the way, cast all the parts on [scrubs].
I figure they were calling to let me know that I'm on watch next week for the show. To my surprise, they were letting me know that I am invited to the 100th episode party and that an invitation would be sent within the week.

Then a few days latter I get a call from my agent telling me I'm on watch for [scrubs] next week. Cool. So every day I'm checking the mail for my invite to the party, right and every day it's not there. Bummer. Maybe, they forgot or maybe they decided that they didn't want a bunch of wannabe actors hanging around. Oh well.

So the next week I got to work on [scrubs] and get to do my first scene of the new year with Zach. My actual line is something like "Dr. Dorian, Mrs. Levin won't take her medication?". So I rehearse it a few times in my room, not paying too much attention to the actual line but actually just getting the flow of it. Then I am called to reheasal on the 2nd floor of the set. So the director, Adam Bernstein, goes through how the camera is to move throughout the scene and we are walking through our lines and basically it was a piece of cake, right???! Or so I thought???! After rehearsal the script girl comes up to me and tells me that she was not aware that we changed the name to Mrs. Jenkins. Too which it dawned on me that I had unconsciously changed the name in my head without me catching it to which Zach chimed in "yah I just went with it because that's how I roll". To which I replied "My Bad" and blew it off as no big deal. So while the crew lights the set I go back down to my room to try to figure out how the hell I screwed up the name. After feeling like shit and thinking what a great way to start of the new year, it dawned on me. The name came from talking to Ken Jenkins who plays Dr. Bob Kelso. You see, earlier that morning I was in the hair and makeup room waiting for the ladies to tell me "Your good Aaron" which basically means all the primping and prodding I had done before I left the house paid off. Anyway, Ken came in and introduced himself to me and we started talking about Hawaii and stuff. Well, he left such an impression on me that my pee brain decided to "write" his name into the scene. Fucking amazing how i figure this shit out. So I am called to set to shoot and we do the scene. No other big problems other then me coming in a little too early on the frist few takes. Lesson learned that day... always bring your sides to rehearsal even if you don't have any lines, of which I always do, but didn't that day thinking I got it... riiiiight.

So getting back to the invite. After the scene I came back to the room to find my invite in my room to which I immediately opened it. It was real basic... Party... 7-11pm... Address... RSVP. Cool. I called the Wifey who was hounding me about the invite more then my subconscious. I a way my wife took over the duties of my subconscious giving my brain a much needed break. So when I talked to my Wife she made sure, as wifes do, to drill me on what everyone else is wearing. So while hanging out between scenes, I candidly ask Jordan what she's wearing. Then I candidly ask Travis what he's wearing. Ok so something hip and cool. While driving home I talked to the wifey about what to wear to which she replies "I need to go shopping".

So we go shopping and o make a long story even longer she find the perfect outfit all the way down to the shoes which always happens to me but never happens to her. For some odd reason it became a bizarro universe. The next day, Saturday, I get up early and head down to the mall on my own and wouldn't you know it I find the perfect pair of pants and the perfect pair of shoes, both on sale. There is a god.

So we decide to leave a little early and grab some dinner before knowing full well there would be ho'r d'ours. I figure we could go to our favorite Grand Lux Cafe but traffic puts my timeline back by 15 minutes which would probably make us late even by hollywood standards. So i cruise by Jones which doesn't open until 7pm, 30 minutes won't cut it. So we walk across the street to Pomodorro... Perfect. Nothing too big or expensive. Quick service and a clean grade "A" restaurant.

We a rolling and it's 7:15pm... Perfect (think Ken Watanabe in The Last Samurai). We turn on N.Ivar on our way to the Cabana Club, formerly know as the Sunset Room. The red carpet is out the Papparazi are there but it's not that crowded. Were we too early??? It's fricken 7:30pm right on schedule. Anyway, we valet the car and check in at the front table and are given wrist bands and whisked in past a 10 foot line of photographers and another 7 foot line of videographers in front of one of those big boards with [scrubs] 100th episode printed all over it. No one knows me so no pictures are snapped. I mean, why waste a slot on a little digital card on a picture of an up and coming actor, right??? if only they knew.

So the party is rather cool. The club is an indoor/outdoor setting with a cool little pool on the outside surrounded by palms and cabanas. The inside is a quaint dance floor/bar set up. So the wifey and I head for the bar where the drinks are free.. well almost. You still have to tip the bartenders which is no biggie. Before we make it to the bar, we are blocked by Donald Faison being interviewed by TV guide, which last a few minutes. We say "hi" to Randall Winston the producer of the show. Everyone is there. The entire cast including all the past characters. I get a pat on the back by Bill Lawrence the Executive Producer and Creator of [scrubs]. Thats when I get a sense of family with this gang. A tight knit group that works hard and plays harder. So we kind of group up with the other interns on the show Jordan, Travis, and Shaughn and their dates. We don't too much socializing but just enjoy the scenery. After a few drinks, some make shift hob nobbing, a nice cigar and a few more drinks we decide to call it a night. Also, Randall makes an announcement saying that they are going to open the club up to the public but we can hang in the VIP room, hence the wrist bands. Nah, we are both tweeked and have had enough.

That's when we get outside to the zoo. You see it's Saturday night and there is a line to get in and all the kooks are out. Yes, it is a full moon but that has nothing to do with it. We finally find a valet to take out ticket and we wait and wait and wait. While we were, um, waiting, Bentleys and Porches are pulling up. Limos with a dozen girls dressed in nothing bounce to the club. The place is a Zoo. Finally, I spot our Chevy Tahoe and we Jet out of there with the wifey driving. Cigars make me delirious. So ends an outstanding evening. A little star watching, Zach was with Mandy Moore. A little bit of food, wifey loves the deserts. A little cocktail, Jack and Coke anyone. All topped off by a nice cigar, Macanudo No. 5.... yah!

A beautiful evening and I forgot my camera. Luckily there was a Rite Aid around the corner. As soon as I develop my instamatic I'll post the pix on my website.

Next week... what it's like to be an actor waiting for an audition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home